Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hallmark

I was cleaning my attic today and found a box of cards that I had kept for the last 25 years. I haven't seen this box for 7 years. I wanted to go through it just to see if I kept any of my birthday cards or any letters that my nmother had mailed to me when we first reunited.

In the past few months, I have looked through boxes to find that one thing or two that I might have kept since we first met 19 years ago. I hadn't found one thing until tonight.

As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, I did not keep my nmother's letters or cards because I wanted to keep our reunion a secret. I felt like I could not keep anything for fear that my amother would one day find them and be very disappointed in me or fear that it would hurt her feelings. I really wished now that I had kept everything.

I found a birthday card that she sent me years ago. Unfortunately, I did not write the date on the card, so I have no clue when she sent it, but it has to be at least 10 years old. I wanted everyone to know that years ago there was one birthday card that Hallmark created that was perfect for a natural mother to send to her reunited daughter.

Dear Daughter,
I just want to tell you I love you--
not for anything specific
that you've done,
not for any particular reason.
Just because I like what
you're doing with your life,
I like the person you've become
and I really enjoy the time
we spend together.
I'm proud to have a daughter like you
and grateful for
the closeness we share.
I'll always love the special person
you've grown up to be.
Hope you have a Wonderful Birthday!


No wonder I didn't throw it away. I was not threatened by this card. It pretty much says what I needed to hear and still need to hear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder of how your nmom feels about you. So glad you kept that one.

KristySearching said...

You know about 6 months ago my cable company (insight) was purchased by Comcast. They switched our e-mails and lost all the saved e-mail I had, including all from when my daughter first wrote me. I was crushed. I haven't had the nerve to ask if by chance they are in her saved mail. Hmmmm I am glad you have that card.
Hugs!
Kristy