Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Searching

I am currently searching for my natural father and have been for about 5 months now. I guess turning 40 has made want to find him and talk with him. It sure is different now than it was 18 years ago when I found my natural mother. Eighteen years ago all I had to do is say, find her to the adoption agency and the next day they talked to her on the phone. I think I was expecting the same to happen with my nfather, but it ain't happening that way.

My nmother did not put his name on my original birth certificate. All she did was leave some notes in my 1968 adoption file of his name, his age, where he attended high school, and ages of his siblings. I don't know what his parent's names are or the names of his siblings or even his birthdate.

I did find his junior year of high school picture in a yearbook annual from his high school. But that is it. At least, after 39 years, I know what he looked like before I was born.

I hired a adoption search person, but that person has yet to come up with anything. I have called the high school where he went to school, but they were no luck. They won't give me any information due to privacy laws. If I can come up with a death certificate, they will give me his records. (Hmmmmm where can I get a ......?)

Every day is very frustrating on my search. My nmother told me after she gave birth to me that she went to visit my nfather and he told her that he was engaged. Engaged? What? How can you get a girl pregnant and then get engaged to someone else? Yep, one of the many questions I have for him.

Today, I looked on the internet for marriage certificates in the county that he and my nmother met. I found one with his whole name on it, but the marriage took place 1 1/2 years after I was born. That doesn't add up very good. I am going to assume if he was engaged after I was born that he would have gotten married within that year.

I have even called the state (Tennessee) where he went to high school to figure out if he might have been born there. His last name is Baker. Do you know that I think every Baker known to man was born in Tennessee or lives there now? Well, that didn't get me too far. The lady at the vital records told me if I knew his parent's name, then she could find the right birth certificate. Nope don't know their name. That is one of the things I am looking for. I could get all the birth certificate's but that would cost close to $500 and really I have no evidence that he was born in Tennessee.

I am not sure what tomorrow's idea will be, but I know it will be very frustrating. And yes, I have looked at classmates.com. No he is not there!

I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you live near his home town? my suggestion, believe it or not, is to visit the town that he went to highschool in, and in the library there should be old phone books or city directories. match up the "bakers" listed in around that year with where they might live, the ones nearest to the high school. you might find his parents' names that way, or at least narrow down the list.

then contact a local genealogy society there: they often keep files full of obituaries cut out from newspapers, sorted alphabetically. obits might be of his parents, or their relatives, and often list extended family. say you're a distant great-niece or something like that ...

if it's a small town, then the search should be quick. quicker if you can contact a highschool 'buddy' of his and that person can tell you where he lived. "Classmates.com" and "Gradfinder.com" are often goldmines of informatation.

good luck!! :)

TheRightThing said...

search angel,
Thanks for the suggestions.
No, I live 16 hours from his "home town" if Chattanooga, TN is his home town. I contacted the library to see if they would help with looking stuff up, but they said they have no one there to do this for me. I have thought about taking a trip there, but am having to figure out vacation time and how much it will cost to fly there just so I can spend 1 or 2 days looking.

I do need to call a local genealogy society there.

I have looked on classmates.com, but didn't know about gradfinder.com. Will look there.

Thanks for info.

Anonymous said...

try ameridex.com too.
and zabasearch.com
write me if I can help.