Monday, February 11, 2008

What's in a name?

Last week, I wanted to go to the metroplex and visit my natural family and do some shopping. I wasn't really for sure if I was going to go to the city or not at the first of the week, but by the time Friday afternoon got here, I was preparing the way.

I had talked with my nmom and told her I was thinking about coming and if I ended up going to the city, could I stay at her house. My nbrother has cats at his house and even though I love staying with his family, it takes me weeks to be able to start breathing normal again. I am sooooo allergic to cats! So I wanted to stay at my nmom's house for the weekend. She said "That's fine." I guess that really meant...."Yes, I would love for you to stay at my house. Please stay as long as you would like. In fact, stay here any time that you would like to. I just love it when you are here." Well, that is "my" interpretation anyway.

Friday night came and around 10:30 that night, I was off to the big city with my older son and a friend. We arrived about 1am. I was so tired.

The next morning, my son got up earlier than I and went to the living room. I was sort of awake and I heard my mom and him talking. I decided that I needed to stay in bed for awhile so that they could visit. They both need some one on one time to get to know each other.

Finally I got out of bed and went to the living room, said "Hi", and sat down for about 3 minutes to be with my son. Then off to the shower I went.

After my shower, I got on the computer to look for a Wii for my son. That was one of the main reasons to go to the city. He had saved up his money from his birthday to go buy a Wii and we didn't have any where we lived. I was hoping that we would find one on Saturday. Believe it or not, there was no Wii to be seen in the metroplex. I kept calling and calling and calling stores. Nope, not a one.

While I was using the computer to look up phone numbers, my mom came in the room to tell me that she was leaving and when she would be back. I told her that I would see her the next day because I was going to be with my sister-n-law all day and then had a date that night and wouldn't be in until late. My son was going to stay at my brother's house to visit with his cousin.

So Saturday flew by and I got back to my mom's house late Saturday night. When I got up Sunday morning, she was awake and we started talking about the cruise that we are taking in a few weeks together. It was a great conversation. We decided what we were going to do when we were going to be on shore and 3 hours later, my brother called for us to meet him and his family to eat and for me to pick up my son.

*******The reason for this post****************

My mother and I have been in each other's lives for 5 months now. The longest we have ever gone. In those 5 months, I have been calling her "Mom" to my friends and my brother, but never when she was present. I would always call her by her first name. It just didn't seem right for me to call her "Mom" while she was present because I have always called her by her name. Plus, I already have a "Mom". Five months ago we had the conversation of "What do you want me to call you" and she said "I would like you to call me Mom". I just couldn't. BUT, I have called her "Mom" for so long now to my friends that "Mom" just seemed right. So....

Before we left for lunch, I said "You remember 5 months ago when I asked you what do you want me to call you and you said you wanted me to call you Mom." She said, "Yes, but you can call me anything that you would like." I said "I would like to call you "Mom" if that is ok with you." She just shook her head that it was ok with her and I turned around to go get my shoes on. That was it. That's all it took.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From your post -- I said "I would like to call you "Mom" if that is ok with you." She just shook her head and I turned around to go get my shoes on. That was it. That's all it took.

What does this mean? She shook her head. Did that mean she didn't want you to call her Mom? Or that it was OK?

I hope it was the latter.

On another note...

I'm writing to ask for your help gathering input for an article I'm hoping to write about the impact of reunion on spouses and siblings. I started this project last fall and got little input. But a recent comment to my post spurred me to get back on it: Reunion Impacts

There's lots of talk, lots of information, about how reunion impacts the natural parents and their grown children. But little said about how reunion affects the spouses (of both parties) and siblings. I want to hear from anyone with something to share on this topic:

As a birth parent, how did your spouse react to your reunion? What were the impacts on your spouse and/or your other children? What about your relationship with your parents and other family members?

As an adoptee, how did your reunion affect your spouse and children? Your adopted siblings? What is your relationship with your natural siblings?

Perhaps there are also adoptive parents out there for whom reunion had an impact on their marriages.

People can respond with comments on my blog or by emailing me at: Denise

Thanks and best regards,

Denise

TheRightThing said...

Denise,

Thanks for asking if it was ok. I corrected my comments on my blog to say that she "shook her head that it was ok".

Count me in on the article. Sent you an email.

Thanks,