Saturday, February 21, 2009

Joining Families

My nmother and I planned a day out on Valentine's Day and we went on a small trip that took all day. We ended up visiting several museums that were about an hour away from her house. My cousin, from my adoptive family, and a friend from my work went with us. My friend and I ended up in a different part of one of the museums, so my cousin and my nmother were together for an hour. They ended up going to a cafe there and talked until my friend and I showed up. It was good to hear that my nmother really likes my cousin and my cousin really likes my nmother.

My cousin and I are so much alike. We are the only ones with dark hair in the family. We are very, very similar and have done a lot together in our lives. My cousin is 11 years older than me and we used to joke, when I was little, that if she was just a little bit older she could have been my natural mother since we are so similar.

This is the first trip my nmother has taken with me and another family member of mine and a friend. She has met some of my friends, but has never spent in quality time with them. It made me feel a whole lot better that she got to know my cousin.

It seems that she is starting to become a part of my family and not just me becoming a part of her family.

This is really bringing us closer and closer in our relationship. She is starting to learn my family and see what kind of friends I hang out with. It seems that she knows more of my friends than my adoptive mother does. Every now and then, she will ask how one of my friends is doing if I have told her that they are having problems.

While I was visiting on that Valentine's weekend, one of my dear friend's daughter, 20 years old, attempted suicide by a self inflicted wound to her head. She is alive but in a coma. The doctors say she may survive. As of right now, she is fighting an infection. My nmother asks me every day how she is doing and what is her condition is even though she doesn't know either the mother or the daughter. This shows me how much my nmother wants to be in my life.

No comments: